Court of Protection

Regrettably there can be times in people’s lives when they no longer have sufficient mental capacity to deal with their own affairs and thus require the support of others to act on their behalf. This may be as a result of an accident, illness or age related deterioration.

When we are informed that an individual requires help in managing their own affairs we will meet with that person and, if necessary, family members, to discuss more comprehensively how we can help them to move forward.

If no Power of Attorney is in place then it will be necessary to apply to the Court of Protection for a “Deputy” to be appointed for the person who lacks capacity. If an application is granted the Deputy then becomes responsible for the management of the incapacitated person’s affairs, subject to the requirements of the Court of Protection and the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

We can assist you in considering whether an application for Deputyship is appropriate, and if you decide to proceed we can help you through the process.

Nick Timmings Petersfields LLP

Get in touch

Nick Timmings is a partner and has been a qualified solicitor since 1993. Nick deals with private client matters. More about Nick.
Call our Cambridge office:
01223 653210

Call our Milton office:
01223 928055

Call our Haverhill office:
01440 713223

Long term care

In addition to the above services, we can provide advice and assistance with issues relating to the costs of long term care, and we can also assist with appeals against decisions made by the NHS about NHS continuing healthcare.