Cambridge: 01223 653210
Milton: 01223 928055
Haverhill: 01440 713223

Latest News

Damage caused by a neighbour's building work: your rights

Building work in the house next door is often a nuisance, with seemingly endless noise, dust, and workmen coming and going. Usually, such disruption ends without any lasting harm, but sometimes the work can adversely affect your property.

Dawn Kiddy at Petersfields LLP in Cambridge and Haverhill outlines your options if a neighbour’s building work causes damage to your property, and she explains how a dispute resolution solicitor can help you get redress.

Resolving a dispute about a trust fund

Once thought of as a device only for the rich and famous, trust funds are now routinely used by ordinary families to protect assets for loved ones in a tax-efficient manner.

Although useful, trust funds can be complex mechanisms and disputes can and do occur about how they are run or about who benefits from them. Nick Timmings at Petersfields LLP in Cambridge and Haverhill outlines what a trust fund is, how disputes over trust funds can emerge and how a solicitor can help you resolve them.

Claiming compensation for negligent financial advice

Sometimes we need to make a financial decision that is of such importance we decide to pay for professional advice. This may be from an accountant, a tax specialist, a pensions expert, a mortgage consultant, an independent financial advisor, a land valuer or surveyor, or even a lawyer offering financial or tax planning services.

By seeking professional input, we aim to arm ourselves with the information needed to ensure that the decisions we make are well-informed and that they are geared towards helping us to safeguard or improve our financial fortunes rather than making them worse.

So where do you stand if you discover, possibly months or even years down the line, that the advice you have been given may be wrong or inappropriate and where it is likely that your financial interests have been harmed as a result?

Increasing rent and tenancy disputes

The cost-of-living crisis is hitting the UK’s landlords hard, with soaring inflation, interest rates and energy prices all exponentially adding to the cost of renting out property.

As a landlord, you may be tempted to simply bump up the rent for all your tenants to cover your rising costs, but there are rules and restrictions involved in doing this and the consequences of getting it wrong can be harsh.

Dawn Kiddy outlines the circumstances in which you can increase a tenant’s rent, describes your options if disputes arise in doing so, and explains how you go about terminating a tenancy if required.

Making a claim against a letting agent for malpractice

If you are a landlord a good letting agent is worth their weight in gold, relieving you of a lot of the stress that is involved in managing all aspects of your rental property.

However, when things go wrong and they do not perform as they should it can have a severely damaging effect on your business, your reputation and your pocket.

Dawn Kiddy, Dispute Resolution Solicitor with Petersfields LLP outlines what a letting agent does, what duties they have, what might go wrong and what you can do if things do go awry.

Challenging a gift to charity made in a will

Finding out that your loved one has decided to leave a gift of money or property to a charity in their will can sometimes come as a surprise, particularly if the charity is not one that was known to be close to their heart. It may also be quite distressing if the unexpected gift effectively operates to deprive you, or another relative, of some or all the inheritance you hoped to receive.


Get in touch with us

Cambridge office
Nine Hills Road
Milton office

Milton Hall
Ely Road
Milton, Cambridgeshire
CB24 6WZ

Haverhill office
6 Hamlet Road
Haverhill, Suffolk